Help with buying a home

Finding a home you can buy

The council offers a number of opportunities to help first time buyers buy a home.

BFC My HomeBuy

This is an equity purchase scheme which enables local residents to buy a minimum equity share of 50 per cent of a home. The scheme allows purchasers the option of buying further equity shares in the property over a period of time until they own their home outright. Applicants must be resident in the borough and have been resident in the borough for the last five years. More information about the PDF file downloadBFC My HomeBuy scheme (PDF, 517kb).

You may also find it useful to look at our PDF file downloadfrequently asked questions (PDF, 78kb).

Cash Incentive Scheme

If you are a tenant of a Housing Association (Registered Social Landlord) living in the Bracknell area and you occupy a family sized property the council can offer you a grant of up to £60,000 to help you purchase a property on the open market. To be eligible for a grant you must:

  • have been a housing association tenant within the borough for at least two years
  • be registered for a transfer
  • have had a clear rent and council tax account for a least six months

PDF file downloadHome ownership for tenants - cash incentive scheme (PDF, 415kb)

Council Mortgage Scheme

This scheme is available to help residents buy shared ownership properties. The council can offer a mortgage for 95 per cent of the shared equity value of the property. To be eligible for a mortgage with the council you must:

  • be a first time buyer
  • live in the borough
  • work at least 16 hours a week with a minimum income of £20,000
  • have a good credit history

You will find more information at PDF file downloadBracknell Forest's council mortgage scheme (PDF, 1118kb) and PDF file downloadmortgage scheme application form (PDF, 143kb)

Shared ownership

Housing Associations own a number of properties which can be purchased on a part rent/part buy basis. These are usually new build properties and are advertised on the BFC My Choice website.

The initial percentage share which can be purchased may range from 25 per cent to 75 per cent. Further shares can be purchased with instalments of 10 per cent or more when you can afford to do so.

Shared ownership resale properties are also advertised on BFC My Choice or you can also look for resale opportunities on Right Move.

Cardew Court, Wildridings is now marketing now a new development of 37 shared ownership flats (9x 1 bed and 28x 2 bed) due for completion in December 2016 from Thames Valley Housing. More information is available PDF file downloadin their brochure (PDF, 5587kb) or on their website, or by phoning them on 0208 607 0550 or emailing them at

Help to Buy

Help to Buy is a Government homeownership scheme to help people buy a home. The Help to Buy Scheme is administered by Radian who is the Help to Buy Agent, and they are called Help to Buy South.  There are a number of homeownership products that you may be able to access in order to get financial help to purchase a home if you live in England and can’t afford to buy a home.

Further information is available on Help to Buy South, or you can ring them on 0800 456 11 88 where a member of their team will be happy to help.

Was this page useful?

Yes No

Thank you. You can provide further feedback on this page using our feedback form.